THE RAGGED TROUSERED PHILANTHROPISTS
One Man Magic Lantern show of the classic book THE RAGGED TROUSERED PHILANTHROPISTS by Robert Tressell
Actor Neil Gore brings this humorous and absorbing book to life in his one-man magic lantern show. Based on the 1914 novel by Robert Tressell, it's story is set in the building trades of Edwardian England where painters and decorators struggle to maintain themselves and their families, poverty and the constant fear of unemployment notwithstanding, while renovating a large townhouse for the local mayor.
With projected animation & fantastic story telling there's something for all the family here, not least the chance to become acquainted with this timeless story of socialism and political awakening.
- ' A one-man, many-charactered tour de force' Clare Brennan (Theatre Critic for The Observer)
- ' A phenomenal performance' John McDonnell MP (Shadow Chancellor)
- After my Constituency Labour Party hosted two performances of The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists earlier this month – reimagined for the stage by Townsend Productions and actor Neil Gore – I was inspired to bring this fantastic production to Parliament Dan Carden MP
- 'A wonderful performance by Neil Gore' Ian Lavery MP President of the Labour Party)
- 'It was fantastic. ❤️ actors!' Tracy Brabin MP (Former Coronation Street Star)
- 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is a wonderful entertainment for all the family' Peter Yates
- 'I left the theatre feeling empowered and thirsty to fight the power and change the future!' Katie Leon
- A strong and robust show that brings the characters, humour and inspirational ideas of this great book to life. It is needed now more than ever. You'll leave the theatre and join the struggle!” Ken Loach, Film Director
- Tremendous The Times
- 10/10 Sensational Liverpool Echo
- 'A fantastic evening’s entertainment all round' Julia Armstrong
- 'Excellent performance of the 1914 classic. I was proud to be one of the MPs in attendance and I thought Neil really brought home the relevance to 2018.' Alex Norris MP